Sunday, November 8, 2009

It all started with an advert saying, ‘Do you want to work on a cruise ship?’

In July of 1997 I found myself out of work. Sound familiar? I had been working with a TV production company that produced television programming for auto racing, road rally’s, and Hydroplane boat racing. I specialized in mounting small format video cameras to give the TV viewer the drivers prospective of the competition.

In January 1997 the Canadian government outlawed all television cigarette advertising. The cigarette companies were the main sponsors on all the racing series I was doing other than the road rally’s. That meant that I went from working 35 weekends a year to 10. Not enough to survive. I was married to WW2 at the time but that was coming to an end. To top everything off, my Dad passed away in April from cancer. So my year wasn’t going very well.

I had moved from Montreal to Toronto after my Dad’s funeral, as there were better opportunities for me in Toronto than there were in Montreal at that time. I had come to a point that I had to find a 9 to 5 job as the video work wasn’t there for me.

I saw an advertisement in the Career Opportunities section of the newspaper that read,

‘Do you want to work on a cruise ship? Money back guarantee. Call 1800 Work At Sea, (not the real number).

So I called and the man at the other end of the line said ‘Sent $75.00 to the following address and we will send you all the information you need. If you don’t get a job within 3 months, send back the packet and we will return your money.’ I had done worst things with money in my life so why not give this a shot. I sent the money off and in 2 weeks time I got a package which contained a book outlining what jobs there were, how to set up your resume to suit the cruise lines and addresses of all the cruise lines in existence.

I followed the instructions and sent out 28 resumes to the listed cruise lines. Within weeks, I received about 20 of the resumes back, with the envelopes stating, no such company at this address. What I later learned was that most of the companies listed no longer existed. GREAT! But I did get one post card that said Thanks, but no thanks. We will keep your resume on file.

In the meantime I increased my search for employment. After a two week span I had narrowed down my choices to, an order desk position with a construction supply company, an upstart company that going to get into the TV satellite business and a Lincoln Auto Dealership as a salesman. My decision was going to be made on the Friday of the week coming. I came home on Thursday at 7:00 PM and my friend told me that somebody from a cruise line had called for me. I said back, “OK, I’ll call them back in the morning”. My friend said, “I think you should call them now, they said they would be working late”.

I called the person at the cruise line. The first question he asked me was, “Why do you want to work on a cruise ship.” I thought to myself, DUH! I’m out of work and need a job!! But I said that I love travelling to new places and this sounds like a great opportunity to do so. He told me that they were looking for a TV Coordinator and filled me in on what the duties would be. I said I would have no problems completing the duties all the time thinking, I have no idea what he is talking about. We talked for a while and he said they would call me back sometime the next week. I answered back that I had 3 other opportunities and I was going to make my decision the next day. If they were interested in me, they would have to call me the next day. He said, OK.

The phone rings at 7:30 am the next morning and the call is for me. It was the person from the cruise line saying that I had the job and could I leave on Saturday morning for Miami to join the ship? Now that was quick. I said back that I thought I needed a paperwork filled out as well as a medical done before I leave and also that I needed to clear up some lose ends at home. I said I could be there next Saturday, and he agreed. He said they would send me the necessary paperwork by fax along with my flight instructions and hotel accommodations. I said, OK that was fine for me.

Time to reinvent myself…again.

So off I went closing things down, getting the necessary medical done, and packing the clothes I was told I needed to work at sea. One thing I required was a Tuxedo which I had no idea where to get. But, when in doubt, ask my sisters. That always works. I am not permitted to buy any clothes without one of them or other reputable source along with me as I am...color stupid. I can see colors, but I can’t tell what goes with what and pastels are my greatest challenge.

Not having a lot of money on hand we decided to go to a Tuxedo Rental store and see if we could buy one of their used Tuxes. That worked out and I also picked up two Tuxedo shirts, a black bow tie and cummerbund and a colorful Caribbean colored matching bow tie and cummerbund. I was all set. So with all my matters settled, my bags packed and paperwork in hand I’m off to Miami.

The flight was uneventful as they always are and found myself in Miami getting anxious to see what I had gotten myself into this time. I got through Immigration OK, picked up my luggage and made my way outside to find a taxi. The paperwork said I should take a taxi to the Airport Best Western Hotel on Flagler Street. Seemed easy enough. As I walked out the door with luggage in tow, the first thing that hit me was the heat and humidity. Wow! It was really hot and sticky. I looked left and right to get my bearings as to where the taxi stands were. Just then a taxi pulls up in front of me. A lovely young thing with a very short dress, quite revealing top and spiked heels made her way out the back door. She wobbled a bit, to what I thought might be the shoes, but she then grabbed onto the back fender of the taxi and proceeded to empty the contents of her stomach all over the car.

Hmm, I thought. Welcome to Miami.

Stay tuned.

*Names may have been changed to protect the innocent!

No comments:

Post a Comment